Job Reports To: VP – Operations & Engineering
Location: East Tennessee
IRIS Networks, a 25-year-old fiber-based network provider with a passion for connecting communities is seeking a Field Technician for the East Tennessee region.
If you want to belong to a high-performance team with a positive and upbeat corporate culture and you have experience working in this industry, IRIS is a great fit for you and this role is an excellent career opportunity.
IRIS Corporate Values:
- Work Hard
- Have Honesty and Integrity
- Take Ownership
- Embrace Teamwork
- Make Smart Decisions
The primary purpose of this position is to provide the required technical expertise to maintain the network’s operation, install and upgrade network elements, and troubleshoot and repair network problems. Manage field resources required to resolve site issues and implement new and current technologies in a lab and live conditions.
- On call for your area 24/7
- Perform system installations, configuration, provisioning, upgrade, turn up, and service activities at collocation sites.
- Conduct on-site and remote diagnostics to isolate fiber optic problems and equipment malfunctions and to determine corrective action required to restore equipment to proper operational condition.
- Manage field resources required to resolve site issues.
- Implement new and current technologies in lab and under live conditions.
- Maintain, monitor, test, repair and operate telecommunication network elements.
- Maintain, monitor, test, and repair customer circuits.
- Troubleshoot customer circuit problems in the network.
- Test new equipment (i.e., new cards, splitters, model equipment, etc.)
- Must have previous experience in telecom dealing with fiber optic cable, coax cable, optical equipment, and DC/AC power.
- Must have previous experience in testing multiple services.
- Must be knowledgeable of the following equipment – DWDM, SONET and ETHERNET.
- Must be a licensed driver, be able to understand road directions and interpret a map.
- Must be a proactive learner, creative, and flexible.
- Must be customer service oriented, a team player, assertive but not pushy.
- Must be analytical, detail oriented, responsible, and organized.
- Must possess good communication and decision-making skills.
- Must be technical minded, open-minded and resourceful.
- Must have a positive attitude, be easy going, and a good problem-solver.
- Must be flexible to work outside normal working hours and days.
Physical and Mental Demands:
- Must be able to hear and talk continuously throughout the day.
- Must have clarity of vision, both near and far acuity, as well as depth perception and accommodation.
- Outside work is medium in nature and requires exertion up to 50 lbs. of force occasionally and/or up to 20 lbs. of force frequently, and/or up to 10 lbs. of force constantly to move objects.
- While in the office, work is sedentary in nature and requires exertion of up to 10 lbs. of force occasionally and/or a negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects, including the human body. Involves sitting most of the time but may involve walking or standing for brief periods of time.
- Must be able to reach, handle, finger, and feel objects.
- Must be able to drive a car for long periods of time, when required.
- Must have the mental ability to read, compare, copy, compute, compile, analyze, coordinate, and synthesize information and data.
- Must be a methodical thinker, and able to understand and interpret technical information.
- Light meter, OTDR, SONET, DWDM, M13 Mux, T1 DACs, MetroE, and CPE.
- DS1 to 100G test sets.
- Ladder, power tools, cable/fiber tools, and hand tools.
- Office equipment such as telephone, computer, and printers.
Working Environment and Hazards:
- Works in a central office, datacenters, local businesses, and remote cabinets/PoP.
- Works in an outside environment.
- Exposure to noisy, cold, dark, dirty, wet, hot, and dry conditions.
- Exposure to low and high voltage (i.e., electrical shock), and optical laser (i.e. blinding laser).
- Exposure to long-distance travel (i.e., road hazards).
- Exposure to heights (i.e., working on ladder).